Overview of MacBook Pro 13
The MacBook Pro 13 can be configured for 8GB, 16GB, or 24GB of built-in memory (RAM) and 256GB, 512GB, 1TB, or 2TB SSD. According to sources, the base model with the 256GB SSD has much slower SSD read/write speeds than the MacBook Pro M1, so you might want to avoid that.
design and performance
Unlike the MacBook Air M2, the 13-inch MacBook Pro didn’t get a facelift. It has the same design that Apple has been using since 2017. Therefore, the older MacBook Pro M1 and the newer MacBook Pro M2 are visually indistinguishable.
That means it has the same thick bezels around the screen, the same Magic Keyboard, and the same Touch Bar, with a thinner Retina display above the keyboard. Ports are similar too, with two Thunderbolt ports on the right and a 3.5mm headphone jack on the left.
Regardless, the laptop is still very light and well-built with an aluminum casing. There is a fan inside the laptop that helps cool down the MacBook, which the MacBook Air M2 lacks.
The 2022 MacBook Pro 13 features the same 13.3-inch Retina LCD display with 500 nits of brightness. The panel has a resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels and supports True Tone technology.
Along with the MacBook Air, the MacBook Pro 13 is also the first to be equipped with an M2 chip, Apple’s second-generation M-series SoC.
The M2 has an 8-core CPU (4 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores) and a 10-core GPU. The previous MacBook Pro 13 had an 8-core GPU with an M1.
Apple says the M2 features a next-generation media engine and a powerful ProRes video engine for hardware-accelerated encoding and decoding, allowing systems with the M2 to play more 4K and 8K video footage than ever before.
The 13-inch MacBook Pro’s speakers now support spatial audio, and the headphone jack now supports high-impedance headphones. Unlike the MacBook Air M2, the webcam hasn’t seen any upgrades on the MacBook Pro 13 M2 as it has the same 720p HD camera.
The laptop comes with a 58.2 Wh battery. Apple claims that the MacBook Pro 13 M2 has up to 20 hours of battery life. And now it comes with a 67W USB-C power adapter (the M1 2020 MacBook Pro 13 had a 61W power adapter).
Apple MacBook Pro M2 Specifications:
- Dimensions: 304.1 x 212.4 x 15.6mm, 1.4kg
- Display: 13.3-inch Retina display, IPS LCD, 2560 x 1600 pixels, 500 nits, Wide colour (P3), True Tone
- SoC: Apple M2 chip
- CPU: Octa-core CPU (4 performance cores, 4 efficiency cores)
- GPU: 10-core GPU
- Memory: 8GB/16GB/24GB RAM, 256GB/512GB/1TB/2TB SSD storage
- OS: MacOS Monterey
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 5.0, 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6
- Webcam: 720p HD camera
- Ports: 1 x 3.5mm headphone jack, 2 x Thunderbolt 3 / USB 4 [charging, DisplayPort, Thunderbolt 3 (up to 40Gb/s), USB 4 (up to 40Gb/s), USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10Gb/s)]
- Speaker: Stereo speakers with high dynamic range, Spatial Audio, Dolby Atmos
- Keyboard: Backlit Magic Keyboard, Touch ID, Ambient light sensor, Force Touch trackpad
- Battery: 58.2Wh lithium-polymer, 67W USB-C Power Adapter
- Colour: Silver, Space Gray